Tuesday 20 November 2012

Reading Reflection # 9

Twitter fiction is going pretty good so far... I have no real complaints. As of yesterday I have 20 of my 30 tweets completed, but I think I will need some more to finish my story. Finding something I could get myself excited to write about was the hardest part. I think that's because I don't normally write stories, especially stories where one thought has to be limited to 140 characters. I am however kind of surprised with how smoothly my story flows, I had expected it to be the complete opposite, and more choppy. My story is based around a man who gets lost while out hiking. I don't want to give it all away, but lets just say, he's lucky if he gets out alive. The character development is my story is pretty slow, and I am trying to see what I can do to speed it up. I don't want to give everything about the protagonist away just yet, but I feel the reader's need to know certain things about him right off the hop. One other aspect I am finding a little tricky is staying completely to what's important in the story. As an author, I like to throw things at the reader that they don't suspect, but I find myself limiting this, just due to the fact it holds no real importance. I chose to go with the more extended short story because I feel, I cant get a decent piece of work out of just 3 tweets.

As for, the VAKS'ing, I found that very easy to include into my story. Maybe my writing style is just that way, but I had no difficulties with that what so ever. Dialogue was a little bit more tricky, being that I had to focus more on what was important. I find myself making the character's speech very black and white, and I think I am going to try and add some personality to what they have to say. Today we looked at the so what? in class. I like to think, the moral of my story is pretty clear, but the true test will come when someone else reads it. This week I plan to finish up my rough draft and move on to editing and finalizing. I think I have some ideas of pictures I will add to my story already, but I will keep those a surprise until later.

No comments:

Post a Comment